- What is the difference between substances and properties, and what is at least one argument for property dualism, and what is at least one objection to that argument?
- What is panpsychism, what is at least one argument for it, and what is at least one objection to that argument?
- What is behaviorism, one argument for it, and one argument against it?
- What is the distinction between types and tokens, and how is it used to spell out the key difference between mind-brain identity theory and functionalism?
- What is the relevance of each of the three following notions in arguing for eliminative materialism: scientific realism, degenerate research program, and folk psychology?
- What are the following four ideas and how are they related: swampman, Twin Earth, externalism, and internalism?
- What is the difference between first-order and higher-order mental states, and what relevance do they have in explaining consciousness?
Tuesday, January 17, 2017
Short-essay questions from my 2017 syllabus
I'm gearing up for the Spring 2017 semester of my own philosophy of mind course at William